Wednesday, April 9, 2014

STAFF HIGHLIGHT: ANDY LOCKEY

NAME: Andy Lockey
NICKNAME: "Full Face"
Andy surfing a SUP on "Turkey Shoot" rapid on the Wenatchee River.

GIVE US A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF.

Before I became a whitewater nut I've had many passions and hobbies. The basic life long passions include skiing, backpacking, biking, hiking, and general adventuring. After graduating high school I dove into some more specific interest like things that go vroom and elevating myself far above the ground. For a couple years the main passion was rally racing in my first car, 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport.
Andy and his Subaru featured on one of Subaru's adds. 

Won some, lost some, and always was able to fix it myself. Since the first one I've owned four Subaru's including a 1986 BRAT that has a few modification I did myself.
Andy's 1986 BRAT and his pups Casper and Lexie.

The elevation gain I'm talking about is my passion for rock climbing. In college I became a climbing instructor and guide. I also competed in the Northwest Collegiate Climbing Competitions and took podium finishes at several events.
Another passion of Andy's is climbing.

Now days I enjoy tall moderate traditional climbing and mountaineering, more adventuring and less envelope pushing. Some of my climbing buddies were also whitewater kayakers and after trying it in the pool for the first time I was hooked. By hooked I mean changed my life forever. To see what I mean check out my video series "Full Face Chronicles". Almost forgot to mention I have become a self taught professional videographer. One more hobby to throw on top, motorcycles.
Andy taking a break from riding his motorcycle.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RIVER AT WILDWATER?

My favorite river to work on is definitely the White Salmon. Summer is in full swing and it's just plain beautiful in the basalt gorges. Husum falls is a ton of fun too!
Andy and his crew after running "Top Drop" the first rapid on the Wild & Scenic White Salmon River.
Andy taking his crew over Class V Husum Falls on the White Salmon River.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RIVER OR MULTI-DAY TRIP?

How can I choose!? The Wenatchee has it all, class 5 stoutness in Tumwater Canyon and the best play waves in the state further down stream. But I can say my favorite river experience so far was on the Upper Upper Cispus River. I've never felt so "in the moment" until paddling into a difficult rapid right above a 30 foot waterfall that you have to run with no way to change your mind after you take that first stroke.

Andy in the green kayak on the left and co-workers Lance, and David with friend Luc on the Upper Upper Cispus.

WHAT GOT YOU INTO WHITEWATER? WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO BECOME A GUIDE?

After kayaking took over my life I knew I wanted to find a way into the industry. With an instructing and guiding background in climbing it only seemed right to become a raft guide and kayak instructor.

Andy kayaking over Husum Falls.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR?

Orange!
Andy wearing his favorite color orange during a day of climbing.

WHAT IS YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL AND WHY?

Definitely the Arctic Snow Fox a.k.a my boy Casper because we both like long walks on the beach and have deep conversations that last into the wee hours of the night.

Andy's fiance Anna, and dog Casper enjoy the sunshine. 

Written by: Andy Lockey

Andy joined the Wildwater crew in the Spring of 2013 after participating in our Guide Training course. Andy now guides on the Wenatchee, White Salmon, Tieton, Skagit and Green Rivers. Andy also support kayaks for our Skykomish trips, guides our down river SUP trips, is a kayak instructor and makes the majority of the marketing videos for Wildwater. You can watch the videos Andy has edited at our YouTube channel. We are very happy that Andy decided to take our Guide Training course last season, he has been a great addition to the crew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment