Wednesday, April 2, 2014

STAFF HIGHLIGHT: NEILS HUMPHRIES

NAME: Neils Humphries
NICKNAME: Polar Bear (nickname given to me by guide Andy Lockey).

The Winter season doesn't keep Neils off the river. 

GIVE US A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF.

I have 16 Wenatchee rafting seasons under my belt. I am also a two time R2 Surf competition champion at the Wenatchee Raft Games held the second weekend in June on the Wenatchee River. I love hunting, fishing and anything outside!

Neils and Josh taking first place in the R-2 surf comp during the Wenatchee Raft Games (this photo was from Neils' second year winning in a row.)

Neils loves fishing!

Neils loves climbing!

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RIVER AT WILDWATER?

My favorite river is the Wenatchee at peak snow melt!! Nothing is better than the huge playful waves that the Wenatchee has to offer!

Neils sticking the dry flip on a play trip with friends on the Wenatchee River a few years back.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RIVER OR MULTI-DAY TRIP?

In the spring of 2013 I kayaked the Grand Canyon and I still cannot get it off my mind, so I would have to say that was my favorite river trip by far!

Neils kayaking on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon.

Neils at Havasu Creek, Grand Canyon National Park.

WHAT GOT YOU INTO WHITEWATER? WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO BECOME A GUIDE?

Growing up as a small kid on the Wenatchee and seeing Wildwater on the river, they always came off to me as the professionals and I wanted to be a part of that once I got old enough.

Neils taking his rafting guests through "Rattlesnake Rapid" on the beautiful White Salmon River.
Neils showing his crew the line they will take while scouting "Boulder Drop" rapid on the Skykomish River. 
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR?

My favorite color is blue! But the shiny red color of our new AIRE rafts is in at a close second, that red with the Wildwater logo looks so good!

Neils taking in the sunset in the beautiful outdoors. 

WHAT IS YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL AND WHY?

My spirit animal would probably be an Osprey, everywhere around the Pacific Northwest this big bird of prey inhabits along the rivers for nesting and fishing opportunities, so as river rafters we see them all the time! Growing up rafting I have had a few experiences when scouting a big rapid and being very nervous, and before getting back into the raft I would see an osprey fly by, so I’d like to think they are looking after me and that they are good luck!

Written by: Neils Humphries 

Neils is a wonderful addition to the Wildwater River Guides staff. He is a trip leader, guides on every rafting trip we offer, guides our down river stand up paddling trips, a kayak instructor, an instructor for our guide training course and is interning in the office this season. In other words Neils does it all here at Wildwater, and we are grateful to have him on board! 

No comments:

Post a Comment